Saturday, April 16, 2011

My first solo flight

I had posted this on Facebook already, but figure it should be here too... I'll be making a few more posts shortly about this amazing experience. The date for my solo was 3/30/2011.

====

TITLE: Just wanted to share my excitement...

... with all of you.

I have been a type I diabetic for going on 27 years now. I got it when, at least in the country I grew up (Israel), there was no concept of diet drinks, let alone sugar-free desserts and such. Heck, diet Coke only started becoming available there in 1986.

My big dream, which was shattered completely and utterly when I was diagnosed, was to become a pilot. That, of course, had to be shelved, or maybe better to say discarded, as soon as I became insulin-dependent. Later going through several years of hypo-unawareness (eventually recognized as an allergy to a specific kind of insulin, and resolved by switching to a different kind) made it impossible for me to sleep alone, let alone think of flying. Getting a driver's license was hard enough.

I did take a couple dual instructed intro flights; they were fun, but also tremendously disappointing, because I knew I could never get to do it myself.

Well, in 1999 I moved to this wonderful country, the US of A. I had forgotten about my dream, because it couldn't ever be possible. Then a couple years back I acquired a CGM system (first the Dexcom, now on the Navigator), and somehow, somewhere, a spark ignited a flame that apparently was burning low for all this time. I started doing some research and found out that in the USA, unlike many other places, it IS in fact possible for a type I diabetic to get a class III airmen medical certificate - the one necessary to become a private pilot.

I remember how astounded, shocked, and delighted I was. I started the process of figuring out how to be allowed to fly. It took a year, and a rather involved appeals process with the FAA, but eventually last September I received my medical certificate.

I could learn how to fly.

I started lessons in November. Today, my instructor rode me particularly hard; I couldn't understand why he was so upset with me. We did what is called "pattern work", which involves repeated takeoffs and landings, and after seven of those, he asked me to come to a full stop and taxi back to the flight school. I knew we were supposed to fly over and do some practice maneuvers, and was feeling really guilty because I apparently upset him so much he decided to terminate my flight. I was going through my post-flight checklist when I heard him get on the radio and tell the tower "I'm gonna drop off at the ramp, and my student is going to go on his first solo".

I choked. I couldn't believe it. I had tears in my eyes all the way to dropping him off and all the way back to the runway. But there it was. Me, alone, in an airplane, fully certified and endorsed.

I did my first solo.

From here on it's a matter of polishing my technique, completing a few more requirements and doing my written knowledge test and FAA checkride. But in the world of pilots, today I became a pilot. Today I was pilot in command and sole occupant of a fixed-wing, single engine aircraft. Today, I was accepted to the club.

With my diabetes.

I flew.

I just wanted to share this. In 2-3 months, I am certain, I will complete the rest of the requirements to get my license, but that's just procedure. What I did today meant more to me than I could ever describe. And I wanted to tell you all: don't ever give up on your dreams, especially not because of your diabetes.

Don't let anything stop you. You CAN do it, no matter what it is and what ittakes. You hear me?

You can do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home