Friday, September 24, 2010

I'm embarrassed

Really.

Considering that this kind of stuff was the reason I was originally hired out of Israel and brought to the US, it's truly shameful that it took me a few weeks to get around to solving this problem. I suspected what it was but, I suppose, just never became irritated quite enough to punch through and get it done.

What am I talking about?

Well, we have Comcast broadband - which is really pretty awesome in terms of things like download speeds (download speeds usually at over 10mb/s, up to 22mb/s on a good day! uploads at 3-4mb/s quite consistently). Thing is... it has also been a pain in the royal behind in terms of browsing, because new pages could take ages to start loading.

I mean, sure, I knew it was a DNS problem. What else could it be? and... well... this is the embarrassing part. I just didn't reconfigure my home network to use a public server, instead trusting Comcast to solve their own problem at some point. Took me literally weeks to realize that they can't, or won't. Weeks!

*sigh*

To make a long story short, Google's public DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), like everything else they set their mind to doing when it comes to internet plumbing, work really well.

I wonder if there is some sort of cream to take the redness off my face?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home