Sunday, August 29, 2010

Languages and how we think

Fascinating article from the NY Times.

And my own experience suggests it's true. For example, I have been stating repeatedly that I cannot express my emotions in Hebrew, which is my mother tongue, but I can easily do so in English, where I am considered to be at the level of a native speaker. In fact, I have an amusing dynamic with my current therapist, who is fluent in both languages as well; I will often discuss events from an observational viewpoint in Hebrew, but when it comes to describing my experience, I unfailingly switch to English - with no ability to even attempt the same expression in Hebrew. And it's not just a loss for words; when I try to consider expressing myself in Hebrew, I grow frustrated and then very rapidly, lose the emotion entirely. I no longer feel it the same way, and then it's impossible to describe it in English as well.

My explanation has always been that English had a much greater store of vocabulary, many more subtleties available for use. I just never imagined quite how true that last statement was.

I am also beginning to think that there is a tremendous advantage to having two very different languages at a native level. Hebrew and English are extremely different. For one thing, it allows switching points of view in a very deep sense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home