Saturday, August 15, 2009

Primary

Today it finally dawned on me why the whole concept of primaries and secondaries in polyamory have never sat all that well with me.

Don't get me wrong; I tried them out in the beginning, rolling the words off my tongue like an expert, even getting upset at those who would dare suggest otherwise. "It's the only model that works" I would insist. You have a primary relationship, and a bunch of secondary ones. That's how it's supposed to work.

And that's where our upbringing trips us up again.

If I had a light bulb to put in here, this would be the point of insertion.

See, what I figured out today - thanks in large part to an absolutely delightful and wonderful new person who has entered my life as if by magic a couple of weeks ago, and with whom I finally got to spend a significant amount of time - is that the whole notion of primary and secondaries (and tertiaries and so forth) is nothing more than a softened version of the monogamy model.

It's like saying "monogamy is too harsh, things aren't so black and white, we'd like to have a bit of fun on the side, so let's just call it something else. Oh, I know! instead of you being my wife, no you will be my primary. There. All sorted out. Aren't we feeling better now? now there's this girl at the office..."

Baloney, I say. Because underneath the pretty words and grand theories, a simple truth resides: when polyfolk use the word primary, they still mean someone who is primary in all aspects of their lives. It's the same deal, really. My primary is my top lover, partner, confidante, trusted person, romantic influence, shennaniganer at large...

And how, I would like to ask, is that any different than the thing we are supposedly saying goodbye to? isn't that exactly the same as monogamy? yeah, sure, the fixin's are a bit different, so now instead of saying "you're my only lover" I'm saying "you're my top lover" or "most important" or what have you.

It doesn't change a darn thing.

Thing is... for me, anyway, the entire point of going the poly route is the realization that one person cannot fulfill all the needs and desires of another. I mean, isn't that why the exploration begins in the first place? so why hold on to those old notions at all? do they really matter?

Instead, I realized today that I can have multiple primaries - in different arenas. Heck, I can be completely monogamous AND poly at the same time; no one says I must sleep with multiple partners to "qualify". I mean, once relationships are viewed through the lens of love being more than a license for intimacy, of self-actualization and self-realization, or better yet, through the idea of interdependence as their highest form, all these boundaries lose their meaning. It truly becomes a new paradigm.

And it solves many mysteries. Loving two people just as intensely. I've been struggling with this one, because the chemical and hormonal effect of infatuation IS pretty much exclusive. But I can love my spouse as the amazing partner, confidante and trustworthy person she is, my primary source of stablity, emotional and mental support, and yet at the same time love another as the primary source of my daily emotional well-being, excitement and desire. They are both "primary". They do not contradict.

Where things do overlap - which can happen, and often - is when, I suppose, folks get ranked instinctively. But trying to maintain the ranking artificially, saying my "primary" must be so in all things - just for the sake of maintaining some vesitge of old beliefs - is... well, silly I suppose. A crutch. It IS simple though, which I suppose is the big attraction.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kayla said...

Yup, she's wonderful... I'm glad she was able to communicate what I tried so hard to say most of last year.
By George! I think he's got it!

Sunday, August 16, 2009 6:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Firecracker said...

There's so many different ways of defining it... but I am glad a new one opened up for you. :)

I also consider both of my guys to be primary, except for the fact that one is my husband and one is not... one has legal responsibility for me, shared finances and a child with me, and the other doesn't. I call them my husband and my boyfriend, yes, but in my heart I love them both very much, and both share a part of me that I don't let anyone else see. (wipe that smirk off your face; that's not all I mean!)

Some people do the same, some people don't let that many people that deep into their lives, it's not all a "soft core mono" thing. Some people have hard and fast rules, some people haven't had the right second partner, and some people just haven't been with that person long enough to open up that much.

It took me quite a while, really, to open myself that far to trust that I wouldn't be hurt. To tell myself it was ok to fall. It's been over two years, and it hasn't always been an easy road, so here's to the next two years times two, and let the years flow exponentially from there. *grin*

I hope you are as lucky (or luckier!) now as I have been so far with mine.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 7:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home