Monday, July 27, 2009

What made me buy the iPhone

I've developed a hate (not love-hate, just hate) relationship with my phone - the AT&T Tilt - over the last 18 months, to the degree where I was seriously considering moving to the extremely closed Apple platform. Now, you must realize that for me to agree to all of Apple's conditions on using one of their stupid devices - be it iPod, Mac, iPhone or whatever - is a momentous feat. I despise close platforms. I particularly despise Apple for being by far the worst offender in this arena. Apple is far, far worse than Microsoft has ever been, just not as successful, thus enjoying the underdog status. However, from the perspective of "evil towards end users", Apple certainly ranks way, way up there. Bill Gates never reached Steve Jobs' ankles when it comes to that, but he never had the latter's charisma, either.

Anyway, putting all that aside, the iPhone is a damn fine machine. I've been resisting mightily, hoping fervently that something that even parallels it from a usability perspective hits the market, but having recently seen the Pre and Android, I was not impressed. The new iPhone 3GS is simply a step above.

But still I resisted.

Then today I was sitting in an office of one of my clients, frustrated as usual with my Tilt, when the discussion veered unexpectedly towards hamsters. That's when one of the guys got a silly grin on his face, pulled out his iPhone, and proceeded to run the silliest, most brilliantly hilarious application I've seen in ages. It's called Smack Talk, and it's basically a poorly animated hamster that speaks your words back to you in a high pitched voice. Pointless, useless... and so damn funny and addictive.

So I finished my day, went to the AT&T store, and bought one. Got home, opened an iTunes account, and 99 cents later, I have my own silly hamster.

It's the software, silly.

Can't wait to show it to the kids.

1 Comments:

Blogger flycat said...

I still can't believe that you bought one. One day we are sitting there talking about smack talk, next day you are smack talking on your own IPhone. Now you need to explore apps like Pocket God where you can smite and kill your islanders to your hearts content.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home