Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Tardiness and Bioshock

Apologies for being so spotty in my contributions lately... I've been somewhat distracted following last week's events, where I essentially sever ties with my mom.

As much as I expected it to come one of these days, it's never something you can be prepared for. Still, she seems to have forgotten the first rule of ultimatums: when you give one, make doubly sure the other side has more to lose than you do. And if I am given the choice to pick my wife or my mom... it wasn't even close.

Still processing.

One thing that this did was get me looking for things to distract me a bit, and as a result I got myself a game for our XBOX 360 system called Bioshock. I've been playing it since a couple nights ago, and oh... my... god.

Seriously, I don't know how much it cost to produce something like this, but it rivals top hollywood films. Yeah, it looks great, but that's not the real point. The point is the story, and the way it's delivered, and the voice-acting, and the sound-track, and the sound effects, and the atmosphere...

Play this in the dark and I don't care how jaded of a human being you are, it will hit you somewhere. Probably a lot of somewheres.

Folks who have known me for many years know that I spent several years in my younger days as a game reviewer, then an editor for the second largest online review site in the world. I had a reputation as harsh. Heck, one of my reviews was so harsh it triggered a letter from the publisher's lawyers (not that it went anywhere).

With that in mind, consider this: at least to this point, I have nothing bad to say about Bioshock. Heck, I have nothing non-committal or average to say about it. I am in fact amazed at just how good of an experience it provides. Yes, it's a haunting and disturbing experience, one that I am adamant should never be given to youth, unstable or not (not that this warning will be heeded), but it really does count as extremely worthy adult entertainment. Wow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home