Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The shrinking gap of inequality

Yes, I said shrinking.

Read this, then come back.

I've recently become a subscriber to the Economist, and boy, do I love the magazine. This particular piece hits the nail right on the head; it's why all politicians who focus on "poor vs rich" don't win as many points as they think they should. How could they? people live differently than what the particular set of numbers they are looking at indicate.

I have been ruminating about this subject recently, so the article really hit home. The context? my new Dexcom. Think about it. I am not a rich or wealthy man. We are middle-class as they come (also by the real definition of middle-class, being the professional class). And yet, I am able to purchase and enjoy the benefits of a new, radical medical technology without assistance and on my own as an early adopter, because technology in general costs a lot less these days.

This dramatic increase in lifestyle equality is what's driving luxury items' prices and popularity so much in recent years; the rich simply don't have much to spend on anymore that really distinguishes them. When a common man can drive something akin to a supercar (take your pick: Porche Cayman, Corvette, Lancer Evolution, pretty much any AMG car), what can a rich man drive? a $430,000 Maybach is somewhat special, but to really flaunt it, he'd need to spend over $1.5 million on a Bugatti Veyron. And the difference in experience? minimal. Is it a wonder that $1 million cars are becoming almost common these days?

I love that I can afford my Dexcom. I love that I live in a world where it's this easy for me to own one without having to be extremely well-off. I think we don't congratulate ourselves enough on how amazing this state of affairs is, and how different from what it used to be even 50 years ago. We are very fortunate to live in this age, folks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great comments - yes - we are very lucky to be living now - and we have a lot to be thankful for. It has been a while since I read and I had a lot to catch up on. so here are a few of my thoughts:
1. Airport security - you can wear the device without problem. When my daughter wore the actual receiver through security the thing went off - but we had no problem with the wand. They had a few questions (can't blame them - it is a very new thing). We just decided to run the receiver with our other carry on luggage and did not have any other problems.

2. As for the A1c - yes - you can get a different (better value) depending on how good of control you have in the few weeks prior to taking the test. As to whether blood or cell glucose values are a better predictor of complications - well - the jury is still out on that. There are several studies in progress now.

3. Itching at the site- sounds like an allergy of sorts - but those don't usually go away after 24 hours - it would seem like it should get worse. maybe you could try some kind of skin prep/ IV prep / tegaderm barrier?

I hope you are having a wonderful holiday season.

Christine

Thursday, December 27, 2007 5:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home