Saturday, December 08, 2007

Reliability

My Dex has gone weird on me.

Sometime yesterday - it started around 6PM or so - it suddenly became a whole lot difficult to actually get a reading consistently, for no apparent reason. I kept the receiver right on my body as I have been for the previous 2 1/2 days, but I'd keep getting a "Y" every two or three readings, as it it were out of range.

Then it got weird. The readings literally started jumping up and down.

Here is an example from last night:



Notice the gap on the left? that's when the range thing started happening. Also note that subsequent to that, the readings are not "always there".

Then look what happens around the middle of the graph. Up-and-down, down-and-up, I didn't know blood sugars could even do this. I really don't think they can. The most incriminating evidence is the little red dot, though. If you look, it is taken at the same time that the Dex is reporting the blue dot much higher above it - in fact, the Dex was claiming I was in the 250's, my actual result was 190 or so... as the Dex itself reports immediately following the calibration. I had calibrated the device previously at 3PM.

Also note that even when the downtrend gets established, the Dex still seems to want to do this up-and-down game; look at the little clusters.

It became much worse during the night:















Again, we get "mini-trends" or clusters, but the overall pictures is strange. Also note - again - the significant gap in a calibration result on the left.

What's going on? My biggest problem right now is that I don't know whether I can continue to trust the Dex, which kinda defeats the purpose. Is it a sensor problem? a transmitter problem? software issue? something going on with my body? is it simply that it doesn't function very well when blood sugars go way out of whack?

And the worst part? it's the weekend (of course). I don't think I can call anywhere for help.

2 Comments:

Blogger kath said...

Actually you can get help. If the 1-800 a try.

Usually if I have a sensor doing that, it soon fails. Most of mine last 9 days but I've had one fail in two (Thanksgiving week) and one fail at 5. Both were replaced.

Saturday, December 08, 2007 8:55:00 AM  
Blogger Bernard said...

Blinkered

It looks like it's failing to me.

Sometimes you can restart it and it'll fix itself.

Note that if you take Tylenol, you can get wacky results. But in that case it just goes super high and stays there for a few hours.

Saturday, December 08, 2007 12:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home