Sunday, January 11, 2009

Lousy Timing

So I took my kids to the park today, to play with a couple of their friends. At some point all five of them (my kids, his kids, him) decided it would be a grand idea to play "capture the evil emperor", that is, me. Think of it as a 5-on-1 game of tag. I'm usually game for that kind of stuff, so I started running from them in and around the structures.

At some point after a few minutes they finally had me cornered, but I saw my escape; if I jumped straight down rather than take any of the normal exit routes I could slink away by virtue of surprise. Not a bad jump really, 8-10 feet or so. I can normally make these all day long.

Not today. As my feet hit the ground I knew it was going to hurt. My left foot twisted and pain shot up my leg as I crumpled to the floor. There was a collective gasp around me as about half a dozen adults standing around the play area saw what happened, although the kids of course simply thought they caught me, and all jumped on me at once. I couldn't even speak for the pain was so bad.

I won't get into much beyond that, but I'll say this: the timing could not have been worse. I have a terribly busy week ahead, and because I consult, I cannot simply take sick days. I am also alone with the kids, cause mom's away on a business trip. I basically have no idea how I'll survive this... the only silver lining is that because of my recent back injury (seems like disasters strike in series) I have a whole stack of Percocet waiting to be put to good use. Hopefully it will make the pain just bearable enough to move... climbing up the stairs on my knees so I can get to the bottle of pills was a delight, as was trying to get the pizza I made for dinner out of the oven and have it spill all over the floor. In a twist of dark humor, I'm sure it would have been an amusing sight for an observer not knowing about the injury to see me crying as I was trying to clean the floor.

Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home