Friday, December 12, 2008

Zero percent financing... at a very large scale

Look, I'm one of the few who think the US is not doing as badly as many think.

But even I am surprised at this one. On Tuesday, the US government sold $32 Billion dollars worth of treasury bills. The interest paid on them? you guessed it. A big fat zero percent.

In other words, the people buying these bills were effectively stuffing money under the mattress to the tune of thirty two billion. The US government - which means you and me, folks - in the meantime, got a screaming deal. Yes, they are short-term (4 weeks). But still. In fact, if I am getting the story correctly, some of the 3-month T-bills were trading at BELOW zero interest. In other words, investors were paying a tiny amount for the pleasure of having them.

Nuts.

And on another front, I got a piece of really good news today. My insurance company has agreed to cover a new Abbott Navigator. It means I'll have to drop the Dexcom I loved so much, but on the flip side, I get to no longer pay all of these expenses out of pocket, and that's big savings. I should be getting it early next week, and be wearing it by Thursday. I'll let you know what I feel about the difference between the two devices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home