Saturday, August 02, 2008

Undecided

So yesterday night I was a guest at a dinner party and got to speak to yet another Berkeley liberal (they seem to be running high these days)... which did several things for me:

1) underlined, once again, how much I despise Berkeley liberals and their narrow-minded, holier-than-thou, religious extremism
2) that even though they don't call it religion, that's exactly what it is, and they sound just as bad to me as any cleric, southern baptist minister, or Rush Limbaugh
3) that the idea of having these people gain any sort of serious political power is a terrifying notion

And the conclusion, of course, which is that

4) I am not sure who I'm voting for, but any encounter like that makes me look at McCain more favorably.

It didn't help that the hosts were self-described bleeding heart liberals. But at least there can be some form of dialogue with these people; not so with the Berkeley types.

The thing that's truly scary is that I am, socially, a liberal, although fiscally conservative (*); I wasn't even trying to argue a conservative viewpoint, just try to establish that there is one, and it's just as legitimate. Forget it, there's no one home, they are all out in the streets screaming in religious ecstasy with the froth flying from the mouths.

Scary.

And with Obama looking more and more like Carter... like I said, McCain is starting to smell... unoffensive.

So I guess I'm undecided. I wonder how many others are what with this Obamamania seemingly running rampant through the nation.

(*) how can that be? easy. I am in full support of people's right to choose for themselves, especially in the context of secularism - for example, I'm pro-abortion, pro gay rights, and so on and so forth. But I'm also in support of small government and fiscal responsibility. Hmm. Maybe I AM a conservative, but not the current republican kind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home