Saturday, February 11, 2006

If anything will bankrupt us, this will

I just got our February PG&E bill... I thought I got my real shock last month, when our bill was $370, but I guess the idiocy of government has no real limit... $440! I have to spell this out because it's so hard to believe. That's FOUR HUNDRED FORTY DOLLARS. For one month of elecricity, for the most part.

I mean, people, this is as much as many people pay for a whole month's RENT. And it's not like we're some power maniacs - we run a perfectly normal household, and we even try to limit usage to off-hours for things like the dishwasher. We replaced appliances recently and bought energy-saving ones. I don't know what to do anymore, but $5,000 a year for bloody elecricity is a killer. At over a quarter per KwH it's no wonder, but shit, the average cost per KwH across the nation is 6.1c - we're paying 28c - that's TWENTY EIGHT CENTS! That's almost FIVE TIMES AS MUCH! Why? Where the fuck are you, Mr. Gubernator?

How come we're not hearing a squeak from anyone about this? I can't believe any local economy can survive for long with this sort of hardship. I've spoken to friends all over the US, and they are, to a one, absolutely stunned. A good friend of mine from Denver mention that their monthly energy bill has increased by about 20% recently - to $90 a month. NINETY DOLLARS! I dream about a $200 a month energy bill, and she's telling me how awful a $90 a month bill is.

Will there be a stop to this? Or are we destined for even higher prices? I mean, at this point we are bordering on the ridiculous. Someone tell me it's going to get better. Please. Lie to me if you need to, but tell it's going to get better.

Geez.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home