Sunday, January 08, 2006

And now for something completely different...

Meatloaf.

The guy has gone off his rocker, I hear you say. Probably true, but certainly something that happened long before this post.

No, the reason I bring up meatloaf is because I have just been re-introduced to the concept... and I am obssessed.

As background, my wife is in the process of opening a restaurant, or rather, a restaurant chain. At least that's the stated goal. In any case, she has been developing the menu for the past couple of months, with me as the chief food taster for a while (and gaining a few pounds in the process - not all of it on good stuff either, as she is experimenting and not everything come out right).

Anyway, this morning, after finalizing a portion of the menu, she decided to make a kitchensink meatloaf with all the recent leftovers. I went to the city to pick up a friend of ours who is staying with us tonight, and by the time we came back the meatloaf had just come out of the oven.

Now, I know what you're thinking. It's just meatloaf, right? No matter how good it is, it's still a pretty plain dish. That's what I thought, and what our friend thought, too.

Then we tasted it.

Oh... my... goodness.

This... thing... elevates the concept of meatloaf to a whole new level. I have never in my life tasted anything quite like it. It is so good that myself, said friend, my 19 months old daughter, and my 3 1/2 year old son were standing around the plate taking turns slicing off pieces and stuffing our mouths - and none of us were even particularly hungry. We polished off close to a pound of the thing before we were forcibly made to stop. There are no words to describe it, except that I have two more trays in the fridge. Our friend described it between bites as something that combines traces of his mother's turkey stuffing (they're Italian) with some excellent stew. It has a "jewish cooking" element to it, if you've ever had really terrific Cholent you'll know what I mean. It hit all of us somewhere in a really big way. It has instantly become one of my top ten dishes I have ever had.

I'm just astounded. I will never be able to think about or really enjoy another meatloaf again. Or actually, because this just doesn't play in the same playground. I'll just stop thinking of it as meatloaf and put it in its own category.

I mean, wow. Wowwowwow.

Mmm.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

MMM Meatloaf. We will have to get together and make some, with a lovely tomato and honey crust. Very tasty stuff, the crust.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 3:31:00 PM  
Blogger Blinkered said...

Oh certainly... just tell me when. I'll bring Lost Cities and we can have a real go at it :-)

Thursday, January 19, 2006 3:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Puttanesca sounds good tonight though, after all our talk of olives and food.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 4:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home