Friday, May 30, 2008

Kudos to Dexcom - again

My saga continues with trying to get the receiver to work with a virtual machine running Windows XP under Linux, but I wanted to say a few warm words about Dexcom customer support (again).

Here is the status: Silicon Labs, as you are aware, refused to help me decipher the error code, even though the troubleshooting guide they posted on their website specifically directed me to send them the question in the first place, with specific pieces of troubleshooting information (which I provided).

So boo to them.

Dexcom at first didn't understand my request, and understandably denied it; they don't have the resources to make their software work under anything but Windows. While I again question their decision to write this in .Net, it's their decision.

However, I did manage to get my point across that my question was actually about the Silicon Labs driver for the CP2102 UART bridge, which is a component of the Seven receiver Dexcom sources from Silicon Labs. Joe Gross, their tech support manager, just wrote to me and asked me to hold on and that they will try to talk to Silicon Labs about the problem, since Dexcom is the actual Silabs customer.

So why the kudos? because they could just tell me to shut up and go away. They really could. It would suck, big time, but life isn't fair. In fact, I totally expected them to.

But they didn't. They actually took the time to read my plea, eventually understood my request (even if it took me a couple of attempts to communicate it properly), and are going out of their way to see if they can assist. That, my friends, is why I adore Dexcom so much. Whether we end up resolving this or not is still up in the air; I actually think I've hit on the source of the problem (timer too short, buffer too small) and it can be fixed by altering the related settings. But the effort really does matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home