Monday, March 31, 2008

Dexcom is amazing - and new knowledge

My most recent sensor has been behaving strangely. When it works, it works well; but already in five days it has basically reset itself (claiming a failed sensor) three times.

I only connected the dots a bit yesterday when it almost happened again when I was taking a rare afternoon nap; the signs were all there (the scattergram, where all points seem to go everywhere just before it shuts down). I called tech support and they opened a case and asked that I call today.

I got Kristen. She listened to my story, and as I was uploading the data to their systems, she asked if this was when I was sleeping. I said yes. Then she gave a new bit of knowledge I had not previously possessed.

Apparently, intrastitial fluid tends to get "pulled back" a bit from some areas of the body when one is not in motion. If the sensor happens to be in such an area, it will have trouble reading during periods of non-motion - that is, sleeping.

Excellent! at least I know. But then she one more. She's gonna send me a new sensor. I told her she doesn't have to do that; it was pretty much user error in placement, but she insisted that they want my experience to be the best it can, and she understands these cost a lot of money. In other words, even though I fully accepted the explanation, and let them off the hook, they still insisted on climbing right back on it and back up their product in a way that is not usually seen elsewhere (go get Abbott or Medtronic to cover you in these circumstances).

I am again impressed at the level of attention the good folks at Dexcom pay their customers. It's getting to the point where not only am I not upset about the reoccurring cost of the system, I am at a loss as to how to repay their kindness. So I'm doing it the only way I can think of.

As of a minute ago, I put in an order for Dexcom shares. A small amount for sure, but if there is any justice in this world, any company with this kind of product and customer service is bound to succeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home