Thursday, January 18, 2007

Building an initial boardgame library

As anyone who knows me knows (mangling English is so much FUN!), designer board games (or eurogames, or german games) are my biggest hobby. I am also a reasonably good teacher, and combining these elements means that I introduce people to the hobby quite often.

As a result, I am frequently asked what an ideal "introductory" game library would look like. In other words, which games would I suggest people buy once they have tried eurogames and caught the bug, as most people do, because it's such a wonderful hobby. Oh, and of course where the heck to buy them. Considering that there are thousands to choose from, and that they are impossible to find in typical toy stores here in the US, these are important questions.

Over time I have come up with a more or less "staple list" that I suggest in response. At the same time, I also send people to my favorite website. I have finally decided to combine these two elements and create a list of games on the site that I can point people to. Here is the result.

As for where to buy them; my favorite online store for large orders (for example, if one should buy all games on my list) would be Thoughthammer, which not only knocks 35% off the retail prices, but will send the games to you free if you order more than $125 worth. Buying the full list will cost about $170; buying it minus the last game, which is a "second phase" game and therefore can wait, will run about $140, still allowing free shipping.

Another good store is Boardsandbits, which at the time I write this actually has all these games in stock. Prices are similar to Thoughthammer, although they will charge you shipping (a flat $10, $6 if are in WA, and I believe they will deliver free if you're in Seattle) regardless of order size.

Cardhaus has recently begun to cater to hobbyist boardgamers, and also offer free shipping with large orders; I hear good things about their service.

Lastly, if you happen to live near Broomfield, CO, my friends there tell me no one can beat Timewellspent, who will also allow you to come and pick up your games from their warehouse in person, circumventing shipping charges.

I also feel I should mention Funagain, as they are rather the 800-pound-gorilla or online game retailers, but note that they prices tend to be higher than (or not as severely discounted as) the others. However, their site is more than worth a visit, and they are much bigger than the rest, which may be a deciding factor for some. They are also a major supporter of Boardgamegeek, and if you do choose to buy from them, make sure you do it by clicking on the Boardgamegeek advertisement to get there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home