Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Wow

As a country, we did good tonight.

I know - just know - that one day I will get to tell my grandchildren about I voted for the greatest country on earth's first black president. I will get to tell them how it was my first presidential vote after coming here from a different country, and just a short time after having proudly become a citizen.

I will be able to tell them how I came to a country that was so great that it had stopped believing in its own unbelievably powerful effect and draw on every other person in the entire world. A country that was in the middle of a depression - not economic, but psychological and emotional - so deep and so overwhelming, that it should by all rights have started to self-destruct.

And I will be able to tell them how this country rose up to collectively shake off the sadness and despair, to look the rest of the world in the eye, and to say "you can't bring us down, and we will not beat ourselves". How we went to the polls and rejected the notion that we are done, and found the optimism and drive in our hearts to create a change so tremendous, so awe-inspiring, that even those who did not believe in it got inspired, and in turn, inspired us all (thank you, John McCain, for a truly beautiful concession speech).

Tomorrow will be a better day. America has been a little sleepy lately. We've woken up. Watch out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home