Sunday, November 02, 2008

Walmart Custom CD, take 2: the disappointment

So last year I discovered Walmart's "create your own CD" online service, which excited me to no end; so much so, in fact, that I don't want to buy music any other way anymore.

I just went there to create a new country compilation, and something is very, very wrong.

Last year I could find anything I wanted. It was all there. My three (at the time) favorite Taylor Swift songs? they were there, and I have the CD to prove it. Well, go there now and you will find that Taylor Swift no longer exists on the service. The same holds true for staples like Dixie Chicks and Garth Brooks. In fact, the more I look through the site, the more convinced I am that they are shutting it down, because so much is gone.

Dammit!

That truly makes me sad. I guess I'll have to download or rip music then, because I swear to god, I'm sick and tired of paying labels - and artists! - for music I don't want, which is exactly what happens when you are forced to shell out $12-$15 (or more in some cases) for a CD full of shite music just so you can get the one song you want.

The Walmart model is perfect. A typical compilation costs a bit over $20 shipped. I will pay this much every day for a CD full of 18-20 songs I actually like.

Anyone knows of a similar service somewhere else? or is Walmart the only game in town, and one that seems to be dying at that? I don't care for MP3 - not interested, don't want another gadget to carry around, I just want a CD to stick in my car's player.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home