Monday, May 05, 2008

Ubuntu - this is cool

OK, now I'm rapidly falling in love with Linux as a desktop OS.

For all you Windows folks, tell me how cool this is: I wanted to add Skype to my machine.

In Windows, it goes this way - you go to the Skype website, go through a series of screens to find the download for your operating system, register, download it, then run the executable.

In Ubuntu it worked like this: I went to the package manager (think of it as a sort of "add/remove programs").I typed "skype", then checked next to the program that came up and clicked "apply". The OS did the rest; it connected to the skype site, downloaded the most recent version appropriate for my specific OS, downloaded all dependencies, installed it, cleaned it up, and placed it in the most rational place on my Linux equivalent of the Windows start menu (which, by the way, is a lot better than the Windows start menu in terms of organization). Done. Seamless.

Me likes.

It's been like this all morning. The software repository that Ubuntu manages really is quite comprehensive. Anything I want is right there. No thinking involved; I don't have to find the software online, figure out how to download it, register for marketing spam, or anything of the sort. Just say that I want to add the program and Ubuntu handles the rest.

Like, wow. Microsoft aparently still has a lot to still learn as far as uasbility and user friendliness goes. We've known it for years when it came to Macs. But to see it on a general distribution Linux is pretty friggin awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home